Shoveling Smoke: Dawn

« Home | Survival » | Awareness » | Scope » | Hearsay » | Twilight » | Politics » | Rain » | Philosophy » | Boy » | Axle »

Dawn

Woke up at 5:20 A.M. this morning and rode the bike. Had to wait until almost 5:45 to actually hit the road, however, because it was still too dark for comfort.

Dawn is a strange time of day. The light bounces off the clouds above, casting everything in an unearthly gloom. Also, there are almost no shadows- since the light comes from directly above, everything appears to be set in place with an eye toward a third grader's view of the world. There's little perspective, just muted greens and greys.

At times, I felt like I was riding through northern England, passing across the foggy moors in The Hound of the Baskervilles. I almost expected Holmes to question me about my unusual behavior, or be chased by the hideous fiend myself.

On the way back home, I was awarded by a burst of orange and salmon clouds breaking over the eastern sky.


View My Stats