Shoveling Smoke: Scope

« Home | Hearsay » | Twilight » | Politics » | Rain » | Philosophy » | Boy » | Axle » | Archives » | Biking » | Lighthouse »

Scope

Today was a beautiful day. Just a hint of a breeze and the perfect temperature to throw on a T-shirt and shorts and go for a bike ride.

The weather had been surprisingly uncooperative this past week for biking, with the cold wind and rain. I'll ride in the rain- in the right situation it can be quite refreshing- but even I have my limits. I try to ride with an eye on the entire process- I don't want a ride to leave a bad taste in my mouth, as it might dissuade me from biking in the future. An individual brush stroke must be sacrificed, if it causes the overall painting to suffer.

Today, however, I knew I had to ride. The weather offered up no excuse. And although tempted, I was loathe to find one in my self.

I've grown accustomed to only using the lower gears. When I first began, I relied heavily on the first gear, the one where you pedal furiously and go very slowly. Of course, it's very easy to pedal. Now, I can complete my route almost entirely in third gear, which is tougher than it sounds. I move faster, but my legs make it appear like I'm plodding around. I imagine the cars that pass me must think I'm in awful shape, as most people equate pedalling furiously with speed.

Most importantly, I've lost weight. When I started, I tipped the scales at 204 pounds. Now, I'm around 190. That's a fourteen pound difference, which is even more impressive when the added muscle mass is taken into account.

I'm not generally one to toot my own horn. However, if one can't brag on their own blog, where can they brag?

I have a check from Shelly for you.

What time should I come by tomorrow and pick it up?

Post a Comment

View My Stats