Shoveling Smoke: Lighthouse

« Home | You Can Kiss My Ash »

Lighthouse

The last few weeks have been exceptionally strange. So much has happened that it's impossible to delineate it with any sort of representational accuracy, much less attempt to cast it in a negative or positive light. Like a frosted mirror, it thwarts reflection and merely gives off muted shades of color and light.

There is, however, an overriding theme to the silhouette- a grand design among the shadows, it appears.

Usually I wish the architect would call, but alas, he generally only leaves about unfinished plans.

This time I not only got a blueprint- I got two of 'em.

I'd been struggling with the direction of my life for quite some time. It reeks of being trite, but I was a sailor lost in the darkness of the sea. The salt hitting the face, the wind picking up, and no sense of direction. I had a beautiful boat but no port to steer toward.

In a word, I was lost.

I still went through the motions- all good sailors do, knowing that the next island is just over the horizon. At least, they hope so. And their actions reflect that hope, as if their beliefs could change the truth.

At long last, I hit shore.

A week ago the career placement lady ran an opening for a Special Project with the Mississippi Department of Archives. I'd been thinking about working for the Archives after graduation for some time, so to say the announcement was coincidental or fortuitous would be an understatement. From what I gather, these Projects are quite rare- just getting a chance at all is remarkable.

What's even weirder is that I'm the ONLY person who replied. Which is ridiculous (at least in my schema) because working at the archives is perhaps the most interesting thing I could imagine doing. Digging through history and making it accessible to those who wish to know it seems to be the antithesis of every Orwellian novel I've ever read- and a supremely rewarding task. That, and I like old books.

Secondly, I interviewed for a JAG position roughly a month ago and I think it went well. In a few days, I'm going to send off an application for their summer internship position. The process is selective, but I'm hoping it works out. I could easily find myself working overseas.

Once, while biking, I was lost. Not to say lost, exactly, but I didn't want to have to turn around in order to get home. So I took a right and hoped the road I was on would get me there. Along the way, I saw a gentleman in his front yard. I asked him (weary and ragged of breath) if this was the way to the convenience store (i.e., home for my purposes). He said yes. Happily, I sped easily up the next hill. That's when it hit me. The hills don't bother you as much when you have a purpose for overcoming them.

Life, it turns out, works the same way.

Previous posts


View My Stats