Shoveling Smoke: Biking

« Home | Lighthouse » | You Can Kiss My Ash »

Biking

Biking is one of my favorite things in the world. Years from now, if an unknown uncle were to leave me millions, I'd like to think I'd still climb on my $53.44 Walmart bike and take it out for a spin.

Since it's already dusky by the time I get home, I added a headlight and tail light to my bicycle a few days ago. I don't plan on doing any night riding, but it certainly gives you a certain peace of mind when you know there's a bright red LED light behind you. I noticed the cars reacted quicker when it's on, so that's good.

Also, it's turning colder. I bought a cheap hooded sweatshirt and some gloves. Not the actual biking gloves, as they're too expensive. It's amazing how Walmart can sell $14.00 bicycle gloves in the bicycle section and $1.50 gloves in the gloves section. But I guess they sell them, or they wouldn't keep it on the shelf. I also suppost I'm not as smart as Walmart, as they make a gazillion dollars a day.

On Saturdays, I go for distance. With little on my schedule and all day to ramble, I'm able to explore and push myself. I don't go exceptionally fast, but I grind out mile after mile. Last week I went roughly fifteen miles in a large loop that eventually went back home. Each weekend the loop gets larger and larger.

Sunday is an average day- one hour, roughly ten miles. Day for the legs to stretch out and rest a bit.

Tuesday is a speed day- I travel roughly eight miles, and push myself to complete it as fast as I can.

Thursday depends on how I feel. The only requirement is that I stay on the bike for at least thirty minutes. Anything shorter than that, and you're just having fun.

Wait, you might say- I thought you enjoyed biking? I do. But it's not just about having fun. Playing a video game is fun. Napping on the couch is fun. Biking is most rewarding when your legs are on fire and screaming as you push slowly up a hill. You think about the comforts of home sitting miles and miles away, and yet you force yourself to push harder in the cold and wet rain. No one is watching- you could easily stop for a moment and catch your breath. But you push on, because you've told yourself to finish. At that moment, it's anything but fun. But afterwards, when you've reached the top, you know you gave the effort that you could. There's something to that, I think.

There's an old saying that goes "No pain, no gain." I don't buy into it. If my knee twinges, I monitor it carefully. If it does it again, I go slow. If it does it again, I'm walking home or setting the bike to the easiest gear. Exercise is about pushing your comfort level and thereby increasing it, not injuring yourself.

That said, there have been days where I've been in so much discomfort climbing a hill where I wished I could have been anywhere but where I was- sitting in class, reading a book, eating a steak- but when I'm done, laying in the grass sucking air, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. And you can't drive a million dollar car to that place- you gotta get there on a $53.44 bike.

Which is quite the ironic bargain, when you think about it.

I really like this look. Very nice.

The exercise is what is increasing your mood, but I agree that this layout is nice and the archives would be a dream career.

I commented a while back that biking had decreased my cigarette consunption- I smoke 1 a day- has it affected yours at all?

Thanks for the compliment zuska. Your template helped make me realize I needed a change. I've finally gotten around to linking to your site, by the way. What can I say, I'm lazy.

I would love to work at the archives full-time after graduation, but there's a reason those people die at their desks, I'm afraid.

Steve, I've noticed my cigarette consumption has decreased- of course, the weather here has been so unconducive to bike riding (i.e., wet and cold) that I haven't been able to ride in a few days. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.

Post a Comment

View My Stats