Shoveling Smoke: Beta

« Home | Marriage » | Politics » | Hiatus » | Meaning » | Denouement » | Weekend » | Panic » | Compass » | Thought » | Halloween »

Beta

I recently was invited to switch to Blogger Beta. By "invited," I mean prompted when I attempted to log in. I'm not sure if it was a consensual decision, however, because the prompt made it clear that the goons were lurking in the background.

It seems to be about the same program, only I've noticed the return of the NavBar. I'm debating whether or not to keep it (if I can even find out how to make it disappear) but thankfully I figured out how to lower my Blog title with the "break" tag.

Another detriment is that I can't comment on non-Beta blogs. They promise it's coming soon, however. Which I don't doubt. Because it's obvious that this Beta business is their new venture. In time, all blogs will become Beta-blogs. How do I know that? Because Google is involved.

I'm no business major, but I'm pretty sure that Google is the Internet equivalent of the Beatles. Or Elvis. If Google calls you up about a buy-out/partnership deal, you don't say no.

And while I don't dislike Google per se, I do feel a slight monopolistic caution, somewhere in the range of Microsoft and Wal-mart. Once a company- in any commercial endeavor- becomes too powerful, it's difficult for other companies to compete. And without competition, you have price-fixing and a lack of innovation.

Of course, the democratic and free-wheeling aspect of the Internet may make the analogy somewhat weak. At least, I hope so.

Labels:

yeah, i'm on beta, too. when i first signed up, i had trouble commenting on non-beta blogs, but that went away. I'm used to beta now, but since I have a non-blogger template, I don't think I get the full benefits. I'm really not willing to get rid of my template for the sake of more control over colors (I like my colors) - and I hope you don't either. I love your template.

Post a Comment

View My Stats