Shoveling Smoke: Static

« Home | Winter » | Update » | Numerals » | Done » | Respite » | Exposition » | Love » | Morality » | Beta » | Marriage »

Static

Today I took my last exam. I would really like to post something clever that explained how drained I was right now, but my brain is busted. You can use fancy words to describe it, sure, but "busted" just about captures it. It's like I'm on auto-pilot.

Last night my wife had to go to the emergency room, so I stayed with her until about 11:00. (Her father stayed with her after that.) I'd never seen her, or anyone else for that matter, endure that much pain. At one point she almost fainted. Her voice would catch when the pain was at its worst and she would just freeze in a state of pure hell. It was a horrible experience.

The doctors aren't quite sure what's wrong- it's either a kidney stone or an infection of some sort. If it's a stone, it's small enough to pass. If it's an infection, they gave her some antibiotics. So she basically has a lot of pain pills and a few days bed rest.

Needless to say, my mind wasn't exactly on my exam. It helps, if anything, to put life in perspective. We worry so much about things that don't mean much of nothing at all, when placed against the big picture. We live, then we die. If we get a few years, and don't suffer for most of them, we're pretty damned lucky.

Pretty lucky indeed.

If none of the above makes sense: remember, auto-pilot.


View My Stats